UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in higher educational institutions, 2009 - @ www.ugc.ac.in
Nationwide Free Anti-ragging helpline Number: 1800-180-5522 in 12 languages
Anti-ragging Affidavit to be Submitted by StudentsAs per the Supreme Court directives, the students of all the colleges have to fill-up & submit the 'Anti-Ragging Affidavits' online to the Anti Ragging Cell, Government of India at www.antiragging.in or www.amanmovement.org even if they have submitted the same on a 'stamp paper' earlier.
"Ragging" Means the following:
Any disorderly conduct whether by the words spoken or written or by an act which haws the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of fresher or a junior student.
- Abetment to Ragging
- Criminal conspiracy to rag
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging
- Public nuisance created during ragging
- Violation of decency and moral through ragging
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt
- Wrongful Confinement
- Use of criminal force.
- Assault as well as sexual offences or even unnatural offences
- Criminal trespass
- Offences against property
- Criminal Intimidation
- All other offences following from the definition of "Ragging"
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s).
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee of the institute, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the Institute level shall be any or any combination of the following:
- Cancellation of Admission
- Suspension from attending classes.
- Withholding/Withdrawing Scholarship/fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institute in any regional, national or international meets, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
- Rustication from the Institute for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
- Expulsion from the institute and consequent debarring from admission to any other Institute.
- Lodging of FIR
- Display the names and punishment awarded to perpetrators of ragging on the notice boards.
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the Institute shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
There is an anti-ragging committee and anti-ragging squad functioning in the college
|Convener||Sri. Rejish M T|
(Chelannur Grama Panchayath)
|Sub Inspector of Police, Kakkur|
|Vice President, PTA|
|Sri. Rajesh MR|
|Dr. Santhosh CR|
|Sri. Jithesh C P|
Anti ragging committee conducted debate on" Ragging is an evil” on 5/04/2023 at college seminar hall. Several students from different departments union members and teachers participated in this debate.The debate was moderated by Dr.Sri . Santosh CR HOD Department of Sanskrit Chaired by Dr.Jooby VP. Welcome speech by REJISH M T Convener anti Ragging committee Vote of thanks by Mr.Babu. T.P Member anti ragging committee.
Those who participated in the debate said that ragging is a poisonous seed that eats away at colleges. It was also opined that the higher education sector is facing a disaster. It was also noted that the importance of organization like Anti Ragging Committee helps in preventing ragging.
Anti Ragging Cell
Ragging is a disturbing reality in the higher education system of our country. The Supreme Court has defined ragging as, “Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.” (Raghavan Committee Report, 2007). Despite the fact that over the years ragging has claimed hundreds of innocent lives and has ruined the lives and careers of thousands of students, the practice is still perceived by many as a way of ‘familiarization’ for young students. The need to address this issue has certainly increased in the last decade and a half, especially after the interventions of the Honorable Supreme Court.
The policy shall define ragging and set strict guidelines regarding the measures to be implemented and the action to be taken in case of an incident of ragging. The students, teachers, administrative staff, parents and the local law enforcement agencies come under the purview of the policy.
Custodian of the Policy
The Anti Ragging Cell and the Anti Ragging Squad shall be entrusted with the responsibility of implementing the policy, under the leadership of the Principal. The convener and members shall coordinate their activities with the College Discipline Committee, the tutors of various batches, heads of the departments, and student representatives.
- To ensure compliance as per the UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in higher educational institutions, and ensure a ragging-free campus.
- To publicize to all students the prevalent directives and the actions that can be taken against those indulging in ragging.
- To consider the complaints received from the students and conduct enquiry and submit report to the Principal, along with punishment recommended for the offenders.
- To offer services of counseling and create awareness to the students.
- The Anti Ragging Cell and the Anti Ragging Squad shall be constituted every year and regular meetings are held to take initiatives to prevent cases of ragging, create awareness in students, and to take action in cases reported.
- Adequate publicity regarding the Cell and the Squad shall be given through various media.
- Information regarding Anti Ragging policy of the college shall be provided in the website and prospectus.
- In compliance of the UGC Regulations, all students and parents are required to submit an undertaking at the time of admission to the effect that they are aware of the prohibition of ragging in the institution and the punishment prescribed both under penal laws as well as under the regulations prescribed by the institution and the University.
- Students must compulsorily keep their Identity Cards with them inside the campus.
- Anti Ragging Squad shall conduct unannounced visits to the canteen, hostel and the nearby bus stops.
- Boards and posters shall be used to display the anti-ragging policy of the college. The definition of ragging and the consequences shall be clearly mentioned. The names and contact numbers of the members of the anti-ragging cell and the anti-ragging squad should be displayed on boards.
- Any student who feels subjected to any instance of ragging by any senior student is immediately required to contact the members of the anti-ragging cell, who will take an immediate corrective action.
- Mandatory legal process will be initiated against the culprits engaged in ragging activities. Appropriate punishment shall be meted out, including being barred from examinations, and even expulsion from college.
- A close and regular liaison shall be maintained with the local police to take immediate action in the incident of ragging.
- Seminars and talks shall be conducted to create awareness regarding the issue of ragging and its consequences.
- Anti Ragging Cell shall periodically review the implementation of the anti-ragging policy in the college using the information supplied by the Anti Ragging Squad, and shall recommend actions as per UGC regulations.
- To collect ant ragging affidavit from fresher students and their parents while taking admission at College