Sree Narayana Guru College, Chelannur, is situated at the foot of the towering Kalari Hills, in a quiet village about 14 kilometres in the north-east direction from Kozhikode. The college has a serene and extensive campus of about 67 acres, by the side of Kozhikode-Balussery Road, noted for its scenic beauty and blessed with the natural spring water fountain in the south-east location. The institution has been catering to the academic needs and aspirations of the pupils in and around Chelannur for more than four decades.
The foundation stone of the college building was laid in February1968 by Dr. T. Balakrishnan. The formal inauguration of the commencement of classes took place in June 1968 with Sri. R. Sankar, the Founder Secretary of the S.N. Trusts engaging the first Pre-Degree class. In 1975, with the beginning of under graduate courses in Botany and Commerce, the college was elevated to the status of a degree college. It became a venue for Post Graduate Studies with the commencement of M.Com degree course in 1995 and MA(English) Degree course in 1999. Recently in 2021 the 4th PG course Msc Biology course with specialization Genetics, Biomechanics, Biomedicine, Genomics, Green Biology was started. In 2023, the college was Accredited by NAAC at 'A' Level (CGPA 3.13)
At present the college is one of the prestigious institutions of higher learning run by S.N. Trusts, Kollam. It is managed by the executive committee of the S.N. Trusts with Sri.Vellappally Natesan as the manager. The Regional Development Committee, Calicut, assists the Trusts in the management and developmental activities of the college. The Principal is the Ex-officio member of the Regional Development Committee.
- To equip students with updated knowledge and relevant skills for improving their global competency.
- To promote higher education among the economically weak and socially backward sections of the society irrespective of caste and creed.
- To enhance the research aptitude of students and create a craving for academics
- To facilitate industry interactions.
- To develop knowledge and skills related to the subject of study.
- To instill the capacity to identify, formulate and handle scientifically complex problems, as well as to critically evaluate information and to formulate possible solutions.
- To develop skills to communicate knowledge at the theoretical as well as applied levels.
- To enhance the commitment of the faculty, staff, and students to the centrality of diversity, social justice and democratic citizenship
- To help students use their physical, mental and intellectual energies for the advancement of the individual and the society, to strive for the achievement of truth and righteousness.
- To enable teachers to integrate innovations with pedagogic discourse
- To encourage basic research and original thinking.
- To empower the marginalised and backward classes with special focus on women.
- To promote secularism, communal harmony and democratic spirit.